If you are limited by budget and film on a smartphone, use free apps and inexpensive external microphones in order to improve the quality of sound. In certain situations it is better to use several microphones at once, especially if you need to get rid from interfering noises. Use the following recommendations in order to improve the sound recording conditions:
- If are filming indoors, attempt to cover walls by sound-isolation materials (blankets, foam) in order to make noise volume lower.
- Try not to film near fridges and conditioners. Also ask your actors and camera crew to shut off all electronic devices which can make extraneous sounds.
- Often during street filming you don't have an opportunity to avoid external sounds. In such situation it is important to use microphone with wind protection and configure it correctly:
- Check the connection between microphone and camera. If the microphone works from a battery, make sure it is charged well;
- Hold the microphone close to a sound source. Speak loud enough but not scream;
- Ask someone to control the sound level during recording by using headphones. If you don't have helpers, listen to the record by yourself.
The main advice for the production stage is to do maximum work and forget the phrase: "We'll fix it on the post-production". More efforts you will spend for filming, the easier the editing will be. Good luck in your creative way!